Our Beautifully Delicious January Box curated by Chef Roblé was all about food inspired beauty products. We wanted to take it a bit further and get you to create and test your own beauty products using edible ingredients. Today, it’s all about a Greek yogurt based Pre-Shampoo Protein Conditioner.
While people with multi-textured or ethnic hair are always told to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize--a proper protein conditioner is often overlooked. Hair consists mostly of a protein known as keratin, and adding protein to hair helps to coat it and fill in any gaps in the cuticle. The occasional use of a protein treatment can greatly benefit hair, promoting growth, luster and strength.
Greek Yogurt (Made with whole milk or 2% milk) - protein rich and contains Lactid Acid. Lactid Acid helps to repair bonds in the hair cortex.
Coconut Oil - loaded with saturated and unsaturated fats, and has been shown to penetrate the hair cuticle to infuse moisture and improve hair elasticity.
Honey – a humectant that attracts moisture to the hair.
Egg Yolk - rich in fats and protein.
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (bring to room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Yolk of 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients together and apply to hair to dry hair
- Cover with plastic cap and wait 20 to 30 minutes. (Do not apply heat because the egg will cook leaving you with a big mess!)
- Rinse with cool water and follow with a co-wash or a gentle shampoo, conditioner and styling treatments
- If hair is damaged, you may opt to follow your co-wash or shampoo with a deep conditioner.
This Pre-Shampoo Protein Conditioner can be used on relaxed or natural hair. Please do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed.
Once you’ve tried this At Home Pre-Shampoo Protein Conditioner, we want to hear from you! Was it easy to do? How did your hair feel afterward?