What inspired you to start Suga’ on Top?
Initially Iris had a small catering business; being in the kitchen comes naturally to her. During the time she had the catering business her daughter started developing small dark, dry patches on her skin; which turned out to be eczema. Iris and I then began to research natural ways to soothe her irritated skin. We used that research and began mixing ingredients from her pantry and combining them with various essential and natural oils and through trial and error, she was finally able to produce products that worked well with her daughter’s skin. We now call (those products) our Thirsty Skin line. From there Iris began making various products with various scents for friends and family on special occasions. If it were up to her she would have continued giving the items as gifts. It was my entrepreneurial mindset that led us into business.
What were the first 5 steps you took when you decided to start your company?
- We did a ton of research on the competition that was out there, especially the local competitors.
- We did a lot of reading to educate ourselves about the beauty industry, and to understand the composition of the products we were making and selling. I have degrees in Business and Management, so I was able to write the business plan, develop sales and marketing strategies, and help us understand what was needed to properly label our products, manage website implementation, implement quality control, etc--all the things that happen on the business side.
- We went through the proper channels of product testing; we held numerous focus groups and got feedback on how we could perfect the product or if we should just leave it alone.
- Being new to the game, we had to start spreading the word about Suga’ somehow. The easiest and cheapest marketing strategy we used was to participate in local vending events (home shows, flea markets, school fund raisers, local health and beauty showcases). We were doing a home show and there was a lady there who believed in us and the business, so much so that she wrote us a check on the spot to get the business going.
- The biggest thing we did was step out on faith. With limited money but strong passion we said, “Ok, let's start Suga' on Top!!”
What advice would you give to customers about taking care of their skin and how do Suga’ on Top products help?
We educate our customers on the importance of exfoliation. Removing dead skin cells from atop the skin leaves it smooth and radiant. This process not only leaves your skin glowing but it allows your moisturizer to penetrate properly. Suga’ on Top has a great line of sugar scrubs made with fine ingredients that will quench the thirst of even the driest skin. The Suga’ Body Glaze is just one of our products that moisturizes and hydrates the skin. We have six different scents, Mango Mint, Pink Suga, Warm Honey, Vanilla Dream, Him, Storm, and our fragrance free line called Thirsty Skin.
How can a woman fit pampering with Suga’ on Top into her every day beauty routine?
Our skin is something that we just cannot ignore no matter how busy we are. It’s our largest organ. Suga’ On Top products cleanse, moisturize and protect the skin from the environment. We all have to shower and moisturize our bodies, so do it the Suga’ way; ”Lather and Layer with Suga’™.
Our aloe based shower gels, body glaze or body frosting, coupled with our body spritz is the perfect Suga’ combination.
What should our subscribers know about the Body Glaze they are receiving in their October boxes?
Mango Mint Glaze happens to be one of our top sellers! Infused with mango and mint essential oils, this four-oil blend is a lightweight, non-greasy oil that easily absorbs into the skin. You don’t need to use much of the product. A little goes a long way!
Miss the October COCOTIQUE Box, but still want to try the Suga’ On Top Mango Mint Glaze? A quick click to the COCOTIQUE shop can remedy that!
Learn more about Suga’ On Top products at the brand’s website and connect with them on Facebook and Twitter.