We love supporting and uplifting small Black-owned business and are excited to introduce you to YaaYaa Natural. When it comes to Shea Butter from Africa, not only does YaaYaa Natural source the purest form from Ghana, but they also empower African communities and help protect mother earth for future generations. Husband and wife team, Nicole and Alex Ampadu, both worked as licensed clinical laboratory technologists before creating their first Whipped Shea Butter Frosting for their family and friends. Now that it is officially winter, we just know that you will fall in love with the rich smooth texture of their Ghana Gold Whipped Shea Body Frosting from our Holiday Limited Edition 2021 Box. Find out more about this unrefined Shea Butter is produced and how it can benefit your skin from head to toe.
How did YaaYaa Natural get its start?
Frustrated with the current skincare market, we decided to create our own skin care products at home. We wanted a product that had a richer consistency than lotion which tends to be mostly water but softer than the usual shea butter which can have a hard texture. We would hand whip shea butter that we purchased online, then add essential oils that would target my specific body, hair and husband’s beard needs.
What inspired the name YaaYaa?
The name is inspired by African women who are the givers of life. YaaYaa (one word) is Ghanian. Alex, my husband and co-founder, is half Ghanian. We wanted a female name from our heritage. YaaYaa is a name for females born on Thursday. In Ghana people are named after the day they are born. We also wanted a name that tied into our mission.
What is your brand’s mission?
Our mission is to empower African communities and protect mother earth for future generations.
What inspired your mission and how are those efforts going?
Our mission was inspired by our Ghanian heritage and our love for the planet. We accomplish our missions every day in several ways:
- We source our shea butter directly from Tamale, Ghana.
- We partner with UNTIL.org to support and empower HIV+ African communities through: HIV/AIDS care services, schooling, and scientific development of an HIV vaccine.
- We also donate 10% of our profits to African charities that share our mission. Without the beautiful African women that farm and produce our shea butter, we would not have a product and a company. For this, we feel giving back to them is a necessity in life.
- We minimize the use of all plastics and exclusively use recycled and/ or re-used materials. These materials include glass jars, recycled bubble wrap and paper, and biodegradable packing chips. We feel this is our responsibility to protect mother earth for the future generations.
What are the key ingredients in Ghana Gold Whipped Shea Frosting?
The key ingredients are: Unrefined Shea Butter and 100% pure Mexican Avocado oil.
What are the benefits of these key ingredients?
There are many benefits of our key ingredients.
Shea Butter is:
- Rich in vitamins A, E, F (antioxidants)
- Provides skin with essential fatty acids and nutrients necessary for collagen production
- Contains triterpenes that helps minimize appearance of fine lines (anti-aging)
- Helps moisturize extremely dry skin due to skin conditions and /or medical treatments
- Helps to prevents stretch marks
- Helps sensitive skin, example: infants and children
- Helps reduce inflammation
100% Pure Avocado Oil:
- Absorbs deep into hair follicles and skin (better than anything else in our opinion).
- It can be used on all skin types, from extremely dry to extremely sensitive.
- It contains fatty acids, vitamin E, antimicrobial properties, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- I personally used avocado oil after shaving, I found it's perfect to prevent razor bumps.
- Most importantly, we do not use alcohols, parabens, and/or artificial chemicals.
Why is it so important to use unrefined Shea Butter?
Unrefined Shea Butter is the purest form of the Shea Butter. Grown without artificial growth chemicals and pesticides, it contains all the vitamins and minerals that are naturally found in Shea Butter. These vitamins and minerals are commonly destroyed during the refining process. Heating Shea Butter can also destroy natural enzymes that benefit our skin. For this reason, we whip our frosting without any heat. We call it cold-whipping.
Can you use the Whipped Shea Frosting from head to toe?
Absolutely! We started using whipped shea frosting on our skin, but once we tested the formula on our hair we noticed how extremely soft our hair and beard became. Now, Alex uses our whipped frosting on his beard and loves to promote soft healthy beards to all his bearded buddies. When selling at festivals, I often let people touch my afro (I really do LOL) to prove how soft my hair became after exclusively using my own products from head to toe.
What other scents does your Whipped Shea Frosting come in?
Our whipped Shea Frosting also comes in: Bulgarian Lavender, Egyptian Geranium-Bergamot (my personal favorite), Indian Sandalwood & Frankincense, and of course an Unscented Invisible Ivory for sensitive skin and babies.
What’s next for YaaYaa Natural?
That’s a great question. We are currently being considered for wholesale in a couple of retail stores. We are also planning to scale our business and find a larger office location to produce and ship at greater capacity. And in 10 years, we would love to open an office overseas, in Ghana, the motherland.
For all of our customers who get the Holiday Limited Edition Box they will get a Ghana Gold Whipped Shea Frosting. What is the one thing you want them to know?
We want them to know, they are about to experience a luxury whipped shea product that supports HIV+ African communities.
USE OUR EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT CODE LAUNCH 10 FOR 10% OFF (1 USE PER CUSTOMER) SITEWIDE AT YAAYAANATURAL.COM – NO EXIPIRATION DATE